CCHP Physiotherapy Referral
Community Paediatric Physiotherapists see children from Birth to school-leaving age with a movement difficulty, motor delay or physical disability. This may include the following conditions :
- Neurological e.g. cerebral palsy, spina bifida, head injury.
- Neuro muscular e.g. muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy, neuropathy.
- Developmental delay, general developmental delay and syndromes.
- Discharge following trauma or orthopaedic surgery.
- Respiratory if already known to service for another existing condition.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Motor Coordination Difficulties ( DCD).
North Somerset referrals
We see children with a variety of conditions resulting in significant motor delay, such as neurodisability, neuromuscular, metabolic and genetic.
We are a community, not acute based service and don't see children with respiratory conditions, injuries or musculoskeletal conditions.
If the child meets the referral criteria they will be invited for assessment. This may be with a Physiotherapist, or part of a joint therapist assessment, or as part of a Multi-Professional Child Centred Assessment (CCA).
A treatment pathway will be agreed with the family which may be:-
- Advice & close to Physiotherapy.
- Block of assessment sessions to achieve agreed outcome & close to Physiotherapy.
- Block of sessions with a Child Development Practitioner followed by a review with Physiotherapy.
- Package of care incorporating a Physical Management Plan (PMP) taught to carers & education staff to be carried out on a daily basis.
- A 24 hour postural care package in conjunction with Occupational Therapy colleagues.
- Possible referral and signposting onto other services such as Orthotics , Occupational Therapy or Portage.
We take part in CDC meetings, multi-agency meetings and school reviews to try to co-ordinate the approach for the child and family where appropriate.
The child will be discharged when a treatment package is established or when Physiotherapy is no longer felt to be beneficial.
For more information about the Children's Physiotherapy Services please contact:
Tel: 01934 881306
Bristol and South Gloucestershire referrals
Anyone can make a referral to this service. Please use the Single Point of Entry (SPE) form (related documents - below) to make your referral.
All new referrals are jointly triaged by an Occupational Therapist (OT), Physiotherapist and Early Years Speech and Language Therapist (SLT) on a weekly basis. If your child meets the referral criteria they will be offered an assessment.
Depending on need, this may be a joint OT and Physio assessment (and if appropriate, will include an SLT), or you may be assessed by a single service.
In some cases we may request additional information about your child, such as a Functional Skills Checklist (see below).
- Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Helpline - 07917 393196
If you have a concern about your child’s movement, or ability to undertake everyday tasks. Available every Wednesday between 9am and 12pm.
- Email Sirona.AhpIntegratedTherapy@nhs.net
You can also visit the Children's Physiotherapy Team page for more contact details.