Community Paediatric Physiotherapists see children from Birth to school-leaving age with a movement difficulty, motor delay or physical disability. This may include the following conditions :
- Neurological e.g. cerebral palsy, spina bifida, head injury.
- Neuro muscular e.g. muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy, neuropathy.
- Developmental delay, general developmental delay and syndromes.
- Discharge following trauma or orthopaedic surgery.
- Respiratory if already known to service for another existing condition.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Motor Coordination Difficulties ( DCD).
North Somerset referrals
Anyone can make a referral to this service. Please use the Single Point of Entry (SPE) form to make your referral.
We see children with a variety of conditions resulting in significant motor delay, such as neurodisability, neuromuscular, metabolic and genetic.
We are a community, not acute based service and don't see children with respiratory conditions, injuries or musculoskeletal conditions.
Referral is via the North Somerset Single Point of Entry form. Before making a referral, please take a look at our referral guidelines.
If the child meets the referral criteria they will be invited for assessment. This may be with a Physiotherapist, or part of a joint therapist assessment, or as part of a Multi-Professional Child Centred Assessment (CCA).
A treatment pathway will be agreed with the family which may be:-
- Advice & close to Physiotherapy.
- Block of assessment sessions to achieve agreed outcome & close to Physiotherapy.
- Block of sessions with a Child Development Practitioner followed by a review with Physiotherapy.
- Package of care incorporating a Physical Management Plan (PMP) taught to carers & education staff to be carried out on a daily basis.
- A 24 hour postural care package in conjunction with Occupational Therapy colleagues.
- Possible referral and signposting onto other services such as Orthotics , Occupational Therapy or Portage.
We take part in CDC meetings, multi-agency meetings and school reviews to try to co-ordinate the approach for the child and family where appropriate.
The child will be discharged when a treatment package is established or when Physiotherapy is no longer felt to be beneficial.
For more information about the Children's Physiotherapy Services please contact:
Tel: 01934 881306
Bristol and South Gloucestershire referrals
Anyone can make a referral to this service. Please use the Single Point of Entry (SPE) form (related documents - below) to make your referral.
All new referrals are jointly triaged by an Occupational Therapist (OT), Physiotherapist and Early Years Speech and Language Therapist (SLT) on a weekly basis. If your child meets the referral criteria they will be offered an assessment.
Depending on need, this may be a joint OT and Physio assessment (and if appropriate, will include an SLT), or you may be assessed by a single service.
In some cases we may request additional information about your child, such as a Functional Skills Checklist (see below).
- Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Helpline - 07917 393196
If you have a concern about your child’s movement, or ability to undertake everyday tasks. Available every Thursday between 9am and 12pm.
- Email Sirona.AhpIntegratedTherapy@nhs.net
You can also visit the Children's Physiotherapy Team page for more contact details.