Referrals are through targeted young people services, early intervention services, GPs, Children & Young People’s Services and the Youth Offending Teams. A member of the team will arrange to see the young person referred, ideally in the company of the referring worker.
Criteria for referral
- Must be aged between 12 and 18 years of age
- Problematic misuse of substances(alcohol &/or drugs) causing concern to themselves or others
- There is an identified need for a comprehensive assessment of substance misuse to ensure that there is a co-ordinated and integrated package of care.
- Young people under 13 taking substances not usual for developmental age
- Young person who has developed a physical and /or psychological tolerance to a substance
- Young person who sees substances affecting their daily life and asks for support - use is causing physical, psychological, social or legal problems
- Young person experiences a compulsion to use and has difficulty in controlling use
- Young person is using substances in a high risk manner –likely to lead to overdose, child protection issues, danger to themselves or others, not responding to harm reduction work.
- Dependent cannabis use
- Poly substance misuse
- Pregnant young women who misuse substances or at risk of misuse
- Substance use is causing or contributing to health problems –weight loss, physical health complications
- Substance use is contributing to acute mental health issues – mood changes, panic attacks, increased anxiety, paranoia, hopelessness
- Experiencing other issues/problems (eg: learning disability, complex family issues)
- At risk of exploitation
- If a young person has been assessed by a targeted worker/service and requires longer-term (i.e. more than 6 sessions??) treatment/support. Please refer for a review of their ongoing support/intervention
- If a young person is close to their 18th birthday they should be given choice as to where they receive treatment from an adult or young people’s services.- happy to discuss route of referral and access for young person
How to refer
To refer to this service please contact 0117 3425729 for referral form or further discussion.
Young People's Substance Misuse Treatment Service - Contact Us
Young People's Specialist Substance Misuse
Tel: 0117 3546207