Autism assessment in Bristol and South Gloucestershire
If you think your child/young person (CYP) has Autism:
1. Discuss your concerns with a professional who knows your CYP
This could be your GP, Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) at preschool/school, Health Visitor, School Health Nurse or school link Speech and Language Therapist. Use the links on the right-hand side of this page for more information on each team.
2. Complete our parent questionnaire
This is optional, but can help you explore your concerns and guide the conversation. Download the parent questionnaire
3. Make a referral to the Autsim Assessment Team, if appropriate
If you and the other professional think an assessment is needed, and you (and the CYP, if appropriate) would like this, then you or the professional can make a referral to the Autism Assessment team.
Not sure if an assessment is right for you?
If you’re not sure that this is the right step, you could:
- Try out some of our support ideas, and agree to review your CYP’s needs after a few months
- Ask the professional to make a referral to Community Paediatrics to discuss your CYP’s development and your concerns in more detail
- Attend a Speech and Language Therapy drop-in or ask at your child’s Early Years setting or school to find out more