Working together, working with you

Autism assessment in Bristol and South Gloucestershire

Autism assessment in Bristol and South Gloucestershire

If you think your child/young person (CYP) has autism and you are concerned about significant functional impact despite appropriate support:

1. Discuss your concerns with a professional who knows your CYP

This could be your GP, Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) at preschool/school, Health Visitor, School Health Nurse or school link Speech and Language Therapist. Use the links on the right-hand side of this page for more information on each team. 

2. You can use many of the strategies and resources mentioned here without an assessment or a diagnosis

Using the strategies discussed on these video, made by the ASD Team, is a great place to start.

3. A referral can be made for an autism diagnostic assessment.

Further Advice and Support 

Please see the box to the right of this page for some Top Tips from our team, which you can use to support your child or young person.

Here are some other useful places to get advice and support:

Not sure if an assessment is right for you?

If you’re not sure that this is the right step, you could:

We advocate a needs-led approach to supporting all children with neurodiversity. No child should be disadvantaged by not being able to access an autism diagnostic assessment. Other professionals may be able to help assess the child’s needs, and make recommendations for support based on these needs. This could include any of the following:

  • School/Nursery/college – SENCO
  • Children’s Centre, Health Visitor or School Health Nurse
  • Some children will meet criteria for:
  • Community Paediatrics
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Educational Psychology service
  • CAMHS or OTR (Off the Record (11 years+) for 1:1 or group mental health support
  • Social Care
  • Families in Focus/Early Help
  • Schools are able to access advice from CAMHS via their allocated Primary Mental Health Specialist (or Infant Mental Health Specialist)