Community Paediatrics - How To Get Help
With regret, we cannot accept self-referrals (from children and young people or parents/carers) at the present time. Parents should approach a professional from the list below to request a referral:
- Health Service Staff
- School health nurses
- Health visitors
- Paediatric therapists
- Children and Young People’s Services
- School Senco
Specialist Community Paediatric services are available to children and young people where there are (significant) concerns about a child’s health, development or educational progress. The following general categories describe the needs for which children and young people can be referred for specialist assessment and treatment:
- Significant concerns about general developmental progress or possible developmental disability - This may include associated severe vision or hearing impairment.
- Impaired feeding - Only in children with developmental disability.
- Impaired sleep - Only in children with developmental disability.
- Epilepsy/possible seizures - Only in children already open to community paediatrics for developmental disability.
- Impaired motor function - e.g possible cerebral palsey, working with paediatric physiotherapists and occupational therapists.
- Complex Communication Difficulties, including where autism spectrum disorder is suspected- Not isolated speech delay, working with speech and language therapists.
- Complex Continence Difficulties
- Concentration and attention difficulties - when affecting educational progress
- Learning difficulties restricting access to learning activities or participation in school - If educational psychology assessment of learning suggests medical assessment would be helpful ( not specific learning difficulties e.g dyslexia)
- Prolonged absence from school on health grounds (>6 weeks)
- Chronic unexplained symptoms (e.g. pain, fatigue)
- Children experiencing or at risk of abuse or neglect (note child protection concerns should already have been reported to the statutory agencies, i.e CYPS prior to referral)