Working together, working with you

Development Delay

Development Delay

Development ConcernsIf you are a parent concerned about your child’s development please speak to your GP, health visitor, school health nurse, social worker or early help co-ordinator.

Your health visitor will be able to carry out an assessment of your child's development and ask you questions about what your concerns are, how it impacts your child’s life, how long this has been occurring, and what sort of help you would like. They may also ask your permission to speak to your child's daycare provider for their opinion.

There is a range of support that can be offered by the above professionals individually and through working together as professionals (we call this multi-disciplinary working). Following discussion with you they will suggest what opportunities may be available to help, and who may be most appropriate to help.

If the concerns are severe or ongoing, your health visitor will discuss referring you to a Community Paediatrician to seek a potential diagnosis, and to access specialist support.

Potential CCHP services that may also be involved:

  • Specialist Community Learning Disability Team
  • Health Visitors
  • School Health Nurse
  • Community Paediatrics
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Speech and Language Therapy

If your child is referred to a Community Paediatrician, please expect an 'opt-in' letter within 8 weeks of reciept of the referral.